Re: INFO: possible circular locking dependency atcleanup_workqueue_thread

From: Oleg Nesterov
Date: Mon May 18 2009 - 18:19:21 EST

On 05/18, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 22:16 +0200, Oleg Nesterov wrote:

> > > It does, L1 -> L2 -> Z as per 1 and 2
> > > which 3 obviously reverses.
> >
> > Yes, yes, I see. And, as I said, I can't explain what I mean.
> >
> > I mean... The output above looks as if we take L1 and Z in wrong order.
> > But Z has nothing to do with this deadlock, it can't depend on any lock
> > from the correctness pov. Except yes, we have it in L1->L2->Z->L1 cycle.
>
> AB-BC-CA deadlock
>
> Thread 1 Thread 2 Thread 3
>
> L(L1)
> L(L2)
> L(Z)
> L(L2)
> L(Z)
> L(L1)

Sure. Now Z really depends on L1. But if you change Thread 3 to take yet
another unique lock X under Z, then lockdep will complain that X depends
on L1, not Z.

To clarify, I do not say the output is bugggy. I only meant it could be
better. But I don't understand how to improve it.

If we return to the original bug report, perhaps cpu_add_remove_lock
has nothing to do with this problem... we could have the similar output
if device_pm_lock() is called from work_struct.

> And you're saying, we can't have that deadlock because we don't have the
> 3 separate functions?

No,

> That is, there is no concurrency on Z because its always taken under L2?

Yes, nobody else can hold Z when we take L2.

But this wasn't my point.

> For those situations we have the spin_lock_nest_lock(X, y) annotation,
> where we say, there cannot be any concurrency on x element of X, because
> all such locks are always taken under y.

We can just kill L(Z) instead of annotating, this changes nothing from
the correctness pov, we have the same deadlock. But the output becomes
very clear: L1 depends on L2.

OK, please forget. Not sure why I started this thread. Just because I
was surprised a bit when I figured out that lockdep's output does not
match my naive expectations.

Oleg.