Re: [GIT PULL] scheduler fixes

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon May 18 2009 - 13:00:24 EST

On Mon, 18 May 2009, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> hm - i've Cc:-ed Jeff & Viro. The background is that Sparse and LLVM
> barfed on the current construct and Al strongly advocated this
> solution, see:

I know the background.

Did you read my email?

Did you see my one-line patch that fixes the same problem WITHOUT THE
INSANITY?

Yes, Al is mostly right. In this case he is wrong. (Ab-)Using unions for
something like this is crazy, since the code doesn't want a union of
overlapping data, it wants two consecutive data structures.

And I'm not saying that my one-liner is necessarily the only way to fix
it. But it's a _better_ way than the crazy way you merged.

Linus