Re: super root shell/mode/api

From: Alan Cox
Date: Mon May 18 2009 - 05:49:31 EST

> Some days ago I've lost some important data on a Linux
> machine, because of an out of memory and swap situation.
>
> When I was coding on c-64 and it crashes I pressed my
> Cartridge button and could save what I wanted, execute
> code and so on. Some may remember this old school times :)
>
> Now 20 years has passed and a web page can block my whole
> machine?!?!?!?

Your distribution failed to configure your system sensibly in that case.
Linux has supported a strict overcommit mode for some years, and in that
mode a process isn't permitted to drive the system so far out of memory
it locks up or hangs.

You can also set some limits on a given process (which with certain
versions of firefox - especially old ones or if you have the flash plugin
is a good idea).

First call - ask your distribution why it isn't using strict overcommit.