Re: unresponsiveness on linux desktop during file copy

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Sun May 17 2009 - 04:52:43 EST

Mark Knecht wrote:
On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 7:38 PM, Satish Eerpini <eerpini@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>
yeah I get similar numbers even in the absence of the desktop manager
, when I tried to copy from a virtual console.
the stats look something like this :
<SNIP>
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family)
SATA IDE Controller (rev 01)
<SNIP>

I googled on "82801GBM/GHM slow" and found a lot to read.

Is DMA for this drive enabled? It seems that some others didn't have
it enabled by default, or maybe at all. I didn't real the threads very
far.

hdparm -d1 /dev/sda

I think hdparm works for most SATA drivers. man sata to see the other
things you can check in terms of configuration.

Switching on DMA manually isn't possible with libata through hdparm currently. However, this shouldn't be required with libata.

Clearly, since you see the same thing in a console with X never having
been started says it's not a GUI issue.

Hope this helps,
Mark