Re: [RFC] Add Input IOCTL for accelerometer devices

From: Felipe Balbi
Date: Sat May 16 2009 - 09:01:58 EST

Hi,

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 06:19:33AM +0200, ext Mohamed Ikbel Boulabiar wrote:
> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 9:02 PM, Felipe Balbi <felipe.balbi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Yeah, let's try to define the best way to expose accelerometers with
> > linux kernel and avoid a sysfs hell. Better sooner than later.
>
> isn't the best way to add a thing like the one for battery for any input device
> /proc/acpi/battery/CMB0/state
> or even in /sys/input/devices/XXXX
>
> and let any userspace application do what she wants with information ?

This case is the other way around. We are trying to set proper
thresholding and other parameters depending on the user application
(gaming, screen rotation, etc).

> > Say we wanna use the accelerometer for both screen rotation and gaming,
> > that device isn't doing hw monitoring and still we _do_ want to set
> > different thresholds and irq requests/types for different use cases,
> > right ?
>
> Another reason for preparing the interface I just cited.

Yes, and the interface would be an input ioctl so that userland would
give us the parameters and the driver just sets them to proper
registers.

--
balbi