Re: unresponsiveness on linux desktop during file copy

From: Satish Eerpini
Date: Fri May 15 2009 - 23:13:00 EST

> I googled on "82801GBM/GHM slow" and found a lot to read.

will read through that ,...

> Is DMA for this drive enabled? It seems that some others didn't have
> it enabled by default, or maybe at all. I didn't real the threads very
> far.

the udma5 mode seems to be enabled , though I can't really make any
sense out of it:

hdparm -i /dev/sda

/dev/sda:

Model=TOSHIBA MK1234GSX , FwRev=AH001H ,
SerialNo= 372HFDVGS
Config={ Fixed }
RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=4
BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=0kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=?16?
CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes, LBAsects=234441648
IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:240,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
DMA modes: sdma0 sdma1 sdma2 mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5
AdvancedPM=yes: unknown setting WriteCache=enabled
Drive conforms to: Unspecified: ATA/ATAPI-3,4,5,6,7

* signifies the current active mode

> hdparm -d1 /dev/sda

got the following error when I tried setting the mode as above, I
think along with -d1 we need to give some "X" argument( or so reads
the man page)..

hdparm -d1 /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
setting using_dma to 1 (on)
HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
HDIO_GET_DMA failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

> Clearly, since you see the same thing in a console with X never having
> been started says it's not a GUI issue.

yes I suppose, but any idea how I figure out what exactly is causing
the IOWAIT, .. and if there are any patches, let me know, I can test
them .

Cheers
Satish
--