Re: [patch -mmotm] mm: invoke oom killer for __GFP_NOFAIL

From: Minchan Kim
Date: Mon May 11 2009 - 19:48:56 EST

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 4:32 AM, David Rientjes <rientjes@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 May 2009, Minchan Kim wrote:
>
>> But this patch increases the probability of innocent task killing.
>> Is GFP_NOFAIL's early bailout more important than killing of innocent task ?
>>

> __GFP_NOFAIL's bailout is, by definition, a bug in the page allocator and
> this patch fixes it.

What I mean is If fortunately other process have a lot of memory is
exited while looping, __GFP_NOFAIL can return.
I have no objection about your patch.
Just, I have a concern of killing innocent task.

As Mel and Andrew pointed out, fundamentally, __GFOP_NOFAIL and
high-order allocation itself is bad code.
Okay. we have to insert WARN_ON properly.

Thanks for good contribution. :)

--
Kinds regards,
Minchan Kim