Re: [git-pull -tip] x86: Addition of cpufeatures to friendly accessmiscellaneous MSRs

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Mon May 11 2009 - 14:17:21 EST

Jaswinder Singh Rajput wrote:

Jaswinder Singh Rajput (15):
x86: Add cpufeature for Processor Name
x86: Add cpufeatures for Advanced Power Management
x86: Add cpufeature for Microcode update
x86: Add cpufeature for Cache MSRs
x86: Add cpufeature for Hard and Soft Poweron configuration
x86: Add cpufeature for Scaleable bus speed
x86: Add cpufeature for Miscellaneous Features
x86: Add cpufeature for Platform feature
x86: Add cpufeature for Hardware configuration
x86: Add cpufeature for System configuration
x86: Add cpufeature for System management mode (SMM)
x86: Add cpufeature for MM configuration
x86: Add cpufeature for Bus configuration
x86: Add cpufeature for performance frequency APERF/MPERF
x86: Add cpufeature for ancient performance monitoring

Overall, I'm rather confused what the point of this is supposed to be. There is value to centralizing CPU knowledge, but some of these flags are only used in one place, and as far as I can see in several of your patches they aren't used *at all*.

If there is no in-kernel user there is absolutely no point to this.

-hpa