Re: [patch 00/13] devtmpfs patches

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Sun May 10 2009 - 20:02:38 EST

On Mon, 11 May 2009 01:47:16 +0200
Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 23:19, Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >> /me boggles, however does one end up with that many partitions on
> >> so few disks?
> >
> > It happens. Tejun did the extending because libata users were really
> > hitting these limits.
> >
> >> /boot
> >> /
> >> /home
> >> /usr
> >> swap
> >> /usr/local
> >> /opt
> >>
> >> and I'm seriously out of sensible ideas.
> >
> > I've seen two usual variants
> >
> > Â Â Â ÂFedora & Unbuntu & Debian & ....
> >
> > Â Â Â ÂFedora 10 & Rawhide & Fedora 9 & ...
> >
> > for people who like to play with distros or need to test a product
> > on them
> >
> > and once you do that 16 is quite easy
>
> That's right. Also people with virtualization, running many guest from
> individual partitions, like to do that - and 16 is nothing for them.
> :)
>
> Some of us run the dynamic sd minors already, and it's not unlikely we
> will enable it pretty soon for the distro.

I'm still missing why > 16 implies "dynamic"/..

(and it seems to be irrelevant to the devtmpfs discussion anyway since
Eric Biederman has shown that pulling the device numbers out of sysfs
is basically free... even though it'd be nice to give that some help to
make it a nice index)

visit http://www.lesswatts.org