Re: [patch 20/22] vmscan: avoid multiplication overflow inshrink_zone()

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu Apr 30 2009 - 22:54:21 EST

On Fri, 1 May 2009 09:22:12 +0800 Wu Fengguang <fengguang.wu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 06:08:55AM +0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> >
> > Local variable `scan' can overflow on zones which are larger than
> >
> > (2G * 4k) / 100 = 80GB.
> >
> > Making it 64-bit on 64-bit will fix that up.
>
> A side note about the "one HUGE scan inside shrink_zone":
>
> Isn't this low level scan granularity way tooooo large?
>
> It makes things a lot worse on memory pressure:
> - the over reclaim, somehow workarounded by Rik's early bail out patch
> - the throttle_vm_writeout()/congestion_wait() guards could work in a
> very sparse manner and hence is useless: imagine to stop and wait
> after shooting away every 1GB memory.
>
> The long term fix could be to move the granularity control up to the
> shrink_zones() level: there it can bail out early without hurting the
> balanced zone aging.

I guess it could be bad in some circumstances. Normally we'll bail out
way early because (nr_reclaimed > swap_cluster_max) comes true. If it
_doesn't_ come true, we have little choice but to keep scanning.

The code is mystifying:

: for_each_evictable_lru(l) {
: int file = is_file_lru(l);
: unsigned long scan;
:
: scan = zone_nr_pages(zone, sc, l);
: if (priority) {
: scan >>= priority;
: scan = (scan * percent[file]) / 100;
: }
: if (scanning_global_lru(sc)) {
: zone->lru[l].nr_scan += scan;

Here we increase zone->lru[l].nr_scan by (say) 1000000.

: nr[l] = zone->lru[l].nr_scan;

locally save away the number of pages to scan

: if (nr[l] >= swap_cluster_max)
: zone->lru[l].nr_scan = 0;

err, wot? This makes no sense at all afacit.

: else
: nr[l] = 0;

ok, this is doing some batching I think.

: } else
: nr[l] = scan;

so we didn't update the zone's nr_scan at all here. But we display
nr_scan in /proc/zoneinfo as "scanned". So we're filing to inform
userspace about scanning on this zone which is due to memcgroup
constraints. I think.

: }
:
: while (nr[LRU_INACTIVE_ANON] || nr[LRU_ACTIVE_FILE] ||
: nr[LRU_INACTIVE_FILE]) {
: for_each_evictable_lru(l) {
: if (nr[l]) {
: nr_to_scan = min(nr[l], swap_cluster_max);
: nr[l] -= nr_to_scan;
:
: nr_reclaimed += shrink_list(l, nr_to_scan,
: zone, sc, priority);
: }
: }
: /*
: * On large memory systems, scan >> priority can become
: * really large. This is fine for the starting priority;
: * we want to put equal scanning pressure on each zone.
: * However, if the VM has a harder time of freeing pages,
: * with multiple processes reclaiming pages, the total
: * freeing target can get unreasonably large.
: */
: if (nr_reclaimed > swap_cluster_max &&
: priority < DEF_PRIORITY && !current_is_kswapd())
: break;

here we bale out after scanning 32 pages, without updating ->nr_scan.

: }

What on earth does zone->lru[l].nr_scan mean after wending through all
this stuff?

afacit this will muck up /proc/zoneinfo, but nothing else.