SCHED_EDF infos

From: finarfin
Date: Wed Apr 29 2009 - 17:56:59 EST

Hi,
I'm new to this list,

Actually i'm near to BS degree in computer science, and for thesis my
Operating System Professor suggested to complete (or begin?) SCHED_EDF for
linux.

Now i don't know if i'm able to do that, i'm new to linux-kernel
development:
1. Someone is already working on that? This task is still available?
2. Now there was something implemented about sched_edf?
3. Into sched-rt-groups.txt there was something that was not very clear (in
my opinion):
The next project will be SCHED_EDF (Earliest Deadline First scheduling)
to bring
full deadline scheduling to the linux kernel. Deadline scheduling the
above
groups and treating end of the period as a deadline will ensure that
they both
get their allocated time.

Implementing SCHED_EDF might take a while to complete. Priority
Inheritance is
the biggest challenge as the current linux PI infrastructure is geared
towards
the limited static priority levels 0-139. With deadline scheduling you
need to
do deadline inheritance (since priority is inversely proportional to the
deadline delta (deadline - now).

Priority inheritance is a different task?
4. In your opinion three months will be sufficient for that task? (yeah
probably this seems a silly question, but if working on that take me a too
long time i think i have to find another thesis :D i wish to have my degree
before the end of this year)
5. For implement that algorithm the general EDF documentation will be
sufficient? There are some special requisites?
6. if you have any suggestion i'll be glad to receive it :)

I hope that this mail doesn't sound useless.

Thank you,
Ivan