Re: usbutils 0.81 release

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Wed Apr 29 2009 - 15:50:54 EST

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009, Kay Sievers wrote:
> > Debian places it in /var/lib/usbids/ for a good reason.  So does Ubuntu.
> > Both have working "update-usbids" scripts (might be the one from upstream,
> > or something different).  They also have the original file in /usr/share, I
> > don't know if usbutils was changed to check /var first then /usr, or what.
>
> Having several files on the same system sounds crazy from a distro
> standpoint. There needs to be only a single database by default. Users

We are talking about two files, here. Not several.

> can do whatever they want anyway, but packages should not support such
> a thing.

If they are to be useful, yes, they do. Or do you want us to package just
the usb-ids text file by itself and keep updating it all the time? That's
the only other possibility, and it is done for the tzdata.

But update-usbids (like update-pciids and update-intel-microcode) works just
fine, so likely the usbutils maintainer didn't have any reasons to move from
update-usbids to a volatile package.

> If the user updates it, what does a new ids file do? Overwrite it

Well, the package overwrites the older one if the download suceeds with a
mv. No mess. If the download fails, the temp file is removed, and the
older one remains untouched.

There is no mess here. And it might be a simple case of the package
creating /var/lib/usbids/usb.ids at post-install time from the static
packaged data, and usbutils always using just /var/lib/usbids/usb.ids. I am
not the maintainer of that package, and sincerely, given your tone, I am not
inclined to go fetch the source and read the scripts.

Now, I am not sure there is any checking against partial downloads. That is
one thing a more controlled volatile package would be better at.

Henrique Holschuh