Fwd: arch/ && tracehook_report_syscall_xxx()

From: Oleg Nesterov
Date: Wed Apr 29 2009 - 15:22:59 EST

On 04/27, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> I've poked a few arch maintainers in the past to separate the enter/exit
> path and usually got the desired changes :)

I'd like to try your method!

So. Dear maintainers of

alpha
arm
avr32
blackfin
cris
h8300
m32r
m68k
m68knommu
mips
parisc
um
xtensa

. Could you please convert your syscall trace code to use
tracehook_report_syscall_entry/tracehook_report_syscall_exit ?

For example, let's look at more or less typical arch/alpha/kernel/ptrace.c,

asmlinkage void
syscall_trace(void)
{
if (!test_thread_flag(TIF_SYSCALL_TRACE))
return;
if (!(current->ptrace & PT_PTRACED))
return;
/* The 0x80 provides a way for the tracing parent to distinguish
between a syscall stop and SIGTRAP delivery */
ptrace_notify(SIGTRAP | ((current->ptrace & PT_TRACESYSGOOD)
? 0x80 : 0));

/*
* This isn't the same as continuing with a signal, but it will do
* for normal use. strace only continues with a signal if the
* stopping signal is not SIGTRAP. -brl
*/
if (current->exit_code) {
send_sig(current->exit_code, current, 1);
current->exit_code = 0;
}
}

it would be really nice to turn it into something like

asmlinkage void
syscall_trace(int entryexit)
{
if (!test_thread_flag(TIF_SYSCALL_TRACE))
return;

if (entryexit)
tracehook_report_syscall_entry(task_pt_regs(current));
else
tracehook_report_syscall_exit(task_pt_regs(current), stepping);
}

Also, tracehook_report_syscall_entry() might want to abort this system
call (please see the comment above this helper), it would be great to
take the returned value into account.

arch/* play with ptrace internals which should be changed soon, not good.

Thanks!

Oleg.