Re: usbutils 0.81 release

From: Mike Frysinger
Date: Wed Apr 29 2009 - 14:55:53 EST

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 11:51, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Apr 2009, Benny Amorsen wrote:
>> Alan Stern writes:
>> > Sure they do. ÂIf you've got an RPM-based system, and you want to
>> > install a package version that's more recent than the one bundled in
>> > your distribution (or if your distribution doesn't include the package
>> > at all), then you'd want to build your own RPM.
>>
>> In that case you grab the source package from the distribution, install
>> it, bump the version number and add the tar file to the SOURCES
>> directory. (And then you remove the patches which were upstreamed in the
>> meantime).
>
> You didn't read all that I wrote. ÂWhat if the package isn't included
> in the distribution at all?

install a different distro. any distro even remotely worth its salt
is going to package usbutils. this is a devils advocate question, not
anything resembling reality.

otherwise, anyone who is going to build a rpm should be familiar with
the myriad of possibilities out there that handle exactly this case
(such as checkinstall).
-mike