Re: [ANNOUNCE] OSS Proxy 1.2 using CUSE

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Tue Apr 28 2009 - 19:35:28 EST

Hello, Miklos.

Miklos Szeredi wrote:
>> For example, if you start aplay with -v option, it'll show the plugins
>> to use.
>
> OK, it doesn't. So I have to tweak some config files to make it use
> this plugin...
>
> ...done. Well, now things do work, but the sound quality is very
> crappy when PA is mixing two or more streams together (loud cracking
> that maybe sounds like integer overflow).

Which version are you using, it got better and then worse and then
better again IIRC. Yeah, it's still in the process of maturing.

>>> What is the disadvantage of non-native ALSA vs. native ALSA?
>> Well, the question is rather whether you need PA or not...
>
> Yes, OSSP needs it. So the question (to Tejun) is why does OSSP use
> libpulse API instead of libalsa API?
>
> The former seems to be much more mature and easier to configure than
> the latter.

On default installation of any recent major distros, PA is the default
and ALSA via PA is the default too, so the configuration doesn't
matter at all. I think PA is the way to go (all other guys are
already there) && we're past the point of no return at this point &&
it's nicer to program to and has some features I wanted (per-pgrp
volume for example), so...

Thanks.

--
tejun