Re: kms in defconfig

From: david
Date: Tue Apr 28 2009 - 17:52:26 EST

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Florian Mickler wrote:

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 10:50:14 -0700 (PDT)
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, david@xxxxxxx wrote:

I've seen people talk about creating such tools, but the responses
that I've seen have tended to discourage them.

I suspect that they'd generally end up handling the easy cases, and
seldom anything more. At which point they're not all that useful.

Linus

perhaps there needs to be an infrastructure where each
kconfig-entry-causer can also provide userlevel code to help with that
entry?

i could imagine a kconfig knob to specify an optional
per-kconfig-userspace-helperscript which calculates a new "suggested
value" at configure time.
this "suggested value" is displayed next to the default value
or is then already incorporated in the default value.

what is the difference between the default value and this suggested value?

each maintainer of each kconfig entry
a) decides if it is possible to supply such a script
b) if it would be useful
c) suplies and maintains his (focused on only one kconfig entry) script

please no!!! we don't want to have to run 2000 different scripts to get the settings.

one script.

David Lang

c) if the script is 100% fool-proof he can say so in the description of
the kconfig-entry or just skip the user or notify the user of the
result.
d) maybe dosn't provide an userspace helper

this spreads the burden of the complex detection-code and hopefully
eases configuration for everyone where possible.

what do others think?

sincerely,
Florian