Re: [ANNOUNCE] OSS Proxy 1.2 using CUSE

From: Miklos Szeredi
Date: Tue Apr 28 2009 - 16:12:33 EST

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Tue, 28 Apr 2009 19:17:14 +0200,
> Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > > Are you using pulse plugin for ALSA, too?
> >
> > alsa-plugins-pulse package is installed. How can I find out if ALSA
> > is actually using this plugin?
>
> For example, if you start aplay with -v option, it'll show the plugins
> to use.

OK, it doesn't. So I have to tweak some config files to make it use
this plugin...

...done. Well, now things do work, but the sound quality is very
crappy when PA is mixing two or more streams together (loud cracking
that maybe sounds like integer overflow).

> > What is the disadvantage of non-native ALSA vs. native ALSA?
>
> Well, the question is rather whether you need PA or not...

Yes, OSSP needs it. So the question (to Tejun) is why does OSSP use
libpulse API instead of libalsa API?

The former seems to be much more mature and easier to configure than
the latter.

Thanks,
Miklos