Re: [patch 00/27] [rfc] vfs scalability patchset

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Tue Apr 28 2009 - 05:09:47 EST

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 09:06:49AM +0100, Al Viro wrote:
> Maybe... What Eric proposed is essentially a reuse of s_list for per-inode
> list of struct file. Presumably with something like i_lock for protection.
> So that's not a conflict.

But what do we actually want it for? Right now it's only used for
ttys, which Nick has split out, and for remount r/o. For the normal
remount r/o case it will go away once we have proper per-sb writer
counts. And the fource remount r/o from sysrq is completely broken.

A while ago Peter had patches for files_lock scalability that went even
further than Nicks, and if I remember the arguments correctly just
splitting the lock wasn't really enough and he required additional
batching because there just were too many lock roundtrips. (Peter, do
you remember the defails?)