Re: Re-implement MCE log ring buffer as per-CPU ring buffer

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Mon Apr 27 2009 - 12:15:08 EST

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 07:44:13 PDT, Davide Libenzi said:

> IANAL, but what is the point of it? If that's for OSS IP protection
> against Evil Corporate claims, isn't the only fact that you posted the
> code and algorirthm, constitutes Prior Art, that would automatically
> protect your contribution from future claims?

The general idea is that if some Big-Linux-Hating-Company comes to you and says
"You're infringing our patent #XXZZZY in this module", you want to be able pull
out a sheet of paper and say "Yes, and you've shipped 45,348,917 copies of
FooBar Release 7, that infringes on *our* patent #YYXXZ. You probably owe
us more money than we owe you. But we'll let you walk out the door and
never mention it again."

If you're old enough to remember the Cold War, it was called Mutually
Assured Destruction back then. ;)