Re: Re-implement MCE log ring buffer as per-CPU ring buffer

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Mon Apr 27 2009 - 10:39:45 EST

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009, Andi Kleen wrote:

> Huang Ying wrote:

> > > It already is ;-)
> > >
> > > I've put in for a patent application on the algorithm so I must wait till
> > > it is processed before I can release the code.
> >
> > When will it be merged by mainline kernel? Do you have a plan?
>
> Patent applications tend to be measured in years. Also I'm not sure
> we really want patented algorithms in the kernel anyways if it can
> be avoided. So the patent probably makes it impractical to use this
> thing at all.

Once it is filed then I can post it, I do not need to wait till it is
done.

And what the hell do you mean about not using patents?? We have several
patents in the kernel. Have you ever heard of the Open Invention Network?

http://www.openinventionnetwork.com/

This patent will go under the Open Source patent pool to help
protect against patent attacks against Linux, et. al.

Yes, the Open Source community can file their own patents. The more
patents owned by the Open Source community, the better.

-- Steve