Re: Fast testing

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Wed Apr 15 2009 - 20:48:32 EST

Tilman Schmidt wrote:
Tomasz Chmielewski schrieb:
Wow. Nice machine. I wish I had one like that. And how long until
the GUI is usable again and you can actually continue working?

For comparison: my 3.4 GHz Pentium D takes 30 secs for kernel start
(ie. until it begins looking for the filesystems),
Including all BIOS routines?

No - from hitting Enter in the GRUB menu.

That seems really high, unless you're using some storage driver that takes a really long time to initialize or something..

2 mins until the graphical login screen appears, and
5 mins from logging in to the GUI being completely present.
I have an old 366 MHz / 192 MB machine which boots to GUI much faster.

Might depend on the value of "GUI". Mine wouldn't even load in 192 MB.
Anyway, my preceding P3/700 MHz/512 MB box hasn't been much worse,
either.

Something's wrong with your setup (unless you start really lots of things or have some other, "uncommon" things).

Hmm, it's always been like that. As for "uncommon", this is a more
or less out of the box openSUSE 10.3 installation. (Without Beagle,
in case you were wondering.) Perhaps that's what's wrong? :-)

OTOH, even the GUIless CentOS server boxes I look after for a
living take about 5 mins until they are up and running again after
a kernel update - including BIOS, but without the fsck penalty.

Thanks,
Tilman