[FIXED] EEE PC hangs when booting off battery

From: Alan Jenkins
Date: Wed Apr 15 2009 - 10:33:48 EST

Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 April 2009 09:17:28 am Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 08:59:01 -0600
>> Bjorn Helgaas <bjorn.helgaas@xxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>> I can't help with the real problem of why the asynchronous battery
>>> init causes the hang.
>>>
>> that got fixed already for the module case.
>>

> But apparently still broken for the builtin case? I think Alan is
> running pretty new bits -- he said "latest git" on April 11.

It's now fixed, in 2.6.30-rc2. My battery is modular btw. I suspect

5d38258ec026921a7b266f4047ebeaa75db358e5 "ACPI battery: fix async boot
oops" [removal of __init]

was not sufficient to fix my problem, but it was solved by the "real" fix,

d6de2c80e9d758d2e36c21699117db6178c0f517 "async: Fix module loading
async-work regression" [module loading waits on async work]

I would argue there's still a question over why the asynchronous battery
init (_with_ the oops fix) should cause a hang in the idle routine. But
since the regression is fixed, it's not exactly an urgent question.

Thanks
Alan