Re: Fast testing

From: Tilman Schmidt
Date: Wed Apr 15 2009 - 07:49:20 EST

Arjan van de Ven schrieb:
> On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 11:55:10 +0200
> Dragoslav Zaric <dragoslav.zaric.kd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I have question regarding fast testing of some change in some kernel
>> source file. Since rebooting is a long process, there must be way to
>
> Rebooting is bloody fast for me (0.7 seconds for the kernel start,
> about 3 to 4 seconds for the whole boot)....

Wow. Nice machine. I wish I had one like that. And how long until
the GUI is usable again and you can actually continue working?

For comparison: my 3.4 GHz Pentium D takes 30 secs for kernel start
(ie. until it begins looking for the filesystems), 6 mins for fsck
if it happens to decide my filesystems have gone too long without
checking, 2 mins until the graphical login screen appears, and
5 mins from logging in to the GUI being completely present.

> not sure that doing weird magic to save that is worth it...

Not for systems like yours, that's for sure, but perhaps for
systems like mine.

Thanks,
Tilman

--