Re: [tip:x86/setup] x86, setup: "glove box" BIOS calls --infrastructure

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Fri Apr 10 2009 - 07:35:46 EST

Hi!

> > Well, difference is that you can defend against arbitrary network
> > packet, but you can't defend against arbitrarily broken BIOS. If
> > it loops forever, or overwrites random memory place, we lost...
>
> We could protect against random memory corruption too, if it ever
> became a widespread problem: by executing the BIOS call in a virtual
> machine. (We can probably use the KVM code to properly emulate big
> real mode, etc.)

We already have problems where bios corrupts low memory area during
suspend/resume. Not sure how KVM helps.

Anyway I do agree with the patches.

> "BIOS people" are operating in a completely different culture. Time
> to market, hardware workarounds, short-term differentiators, secret
> bootstrap sequences and code compactness are king in that space.
> Code quality is dead last in the list. I strongly doubt that given
> the radically conflicting priorities a reasonable dialogue can be
> established.

"BIOS people" control stuff like SMM mode. We can workaround some BIOS
problems, but definitely not all of them.

For servers, I guess Linux has enough of market share that we could
certify known-good servers (and maybe warn against known-bad).
Pavel