dhcp-based netboot over jumbo-frame network?

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Wed Apr 08 2009 - 13:53:27 EST

Hi all,

We have an existing system that loads a bare kernel using tftp, then mounts a rootfs via NFS. The wrinkle is that this is on a jumbo-frame enabled network, so somehow the MTU needs to be set before mounting the rootfs.

In a previous version we patched ipconfig.c to support the DHCP option to specify the MTU value, but I'm wondering about the "proper" way to do this on current kernels.

I suppose the obvious answer would be initramfs. The downsides to that solution are that it would increase the size of the kernel file, and we would need to change the existing build system. In the face of a small patch to ipconfig, it's not a very attractive solution.

Looking forward to your responses.

Chris