Re: Weird freezes with 2.6.28/29

From: Woody Suwalski
Date: Wed Apr 08 2009 - 13:30:49 EST

Chris Howie wrote:
Hello everyone.

I've been running across some bizarre and obnoxious freezes on 2.6.28
and 2.6.29. I will describe my problem and attach an annotated kernel
log indicating where each problem happens.

Upon initial boot, everything seems to be going fine. But early on
the entire system freezes. The only reliable way I've found to
unfreeze it is to press the power button on my laptop.

After that, the system will either boot fine or freeze again later.
If it does freeze, it's when init is starting all my services. Most
of the time it freezes while starting resolvconf. (I don't /think/
that's significant, but who knows.) I can unfreeze it by holding down
pretty much any key on the keyboard. I usually use CTRL since it
doesn't spam the console, but any key works. The moment I release the
key, it freezes again. Once X starts up there are no more freezing
problems. But then it happens again on shutdown. I have to hold a
key until the laptop powers off or it will freeze while init is
killing services.

Aside from some hibernate flakiness that I have come to expect, these
are the only problems I'm having with this kernel version. Is there
any additional information I can supply that will facilitate proper
debugging of this problem?

Thanks!

I am getting similar problem on Dell 4x00 laptops caused by loading processor.ko.
If I use nocst=1 option, systems are OK.

Woody

--
Woody Suwalski, Xandros, Ottawa, Canada, 1-613-842-3498 x414