cross-compilers

From: Alex Chiang
Date: Tue Apr 07 2009 - 20:39:34 EST

Hi Andrew,

I've been using your cross-compilers here:

http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/cross-compilers/

for a long time now, but they're starting to suffer from a bit of
neglect.

For example, the ia64 bundle, which used gcc 3.4.5 is now finally
too old to build 2.6.30-rc1, because of a gcc bug related to
labels.

Some of the newer bundles which use gcc 4.1.0 don't work because
of a check in:

include/linux/compiler-gcc4.h

So my question is, do you still use those tools hosted on
kernel.org or do you have a new solution these days?

If you have a new solution, I'd like to hear it, because I found
those cross-compilers pretty useful, as I'm sure others did.

I spent most of yesterday fiddling about and managed to build an
x86_64 host, ia64 target, gcc 4.2.3, glibc 2.3.6 bundle, and it
all seems to work.

Is this something you're interested in? I could send you my
tarball (and slowly work on some of the other archs).

If so, what were the crosstool build options you used? I'm
specifically wondering about:

- should I am for lowest common denominator host or are
you ok with x86_64 host

- did you statically link the toolchain? or is it
dynamically linked?

Thanks.

/ac