Re: [git pull] IDE updates part 4

From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
Date: Tue Apr 07 2009 - 18:57:29 EST

On Wednesday 08 April 2009 00:30:06 Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> > - TRIM support ("discard" operation for SSD devices)
> > (David Woodhouse & Matthew Wilcox)
> >
> > Since this is a new feature and hasn't seen much testing with production
> > devices it is not enabled by default yet (requires use of "ide_core.trim=1"
> > kernel parameter).
>

> As noted by Matthew, this appears to be missing the requisite block support?

I had this nice feeling of missing some detail but I didn't have time to think
about it too much since I was rushing to get all changes integrated for the last
pre -rc1 pull request. Now it is late due to premature TRIM support... :)

However it is not all that bad since we can just leave things as they are for
now and disable TRIM support until block changes get merged with patch below.

[ I added it to the pull request. Sorry Linus, this is the best I can do ATM
before failing asleep -- if this is not acceptable I'll revisit pull request
tomorrow. ]