Re: IRQF_SAMPLE_RANDOM question...

From: Robin Getz
Date: Tue Apr 07 2009 - 18:29:32 EST

On Tue 7 Apr 2009 17:39, Chris Peterson pondered:
> 1. Are there any new add_*_randomness() functions that could be added?

I can think of - USB, serial, SDIO - but if any are heavily loaded with
constant data - their randomness reduces, and becomes less useful. if it is
the normal use case - then these might be better - but it is a function of
the local users's use of the device - and is not remotely attackable.

> Some userspace daemons like EGD (running as root) feed random system
> info (e.g. vmstat) into /dev/random. But how many Linux distros
> actually run entropy-gathering daemons by default?

Not many that I can find.

> Would /dev/random
> be more secure if entropy-gathering daemons were replaced with new
> kernel functions like add_vmstat_randomness() or add_ps_randomness()?

on embedded and server - it is likely most of ps (except load) will be pretty
stable - even vmstat - might be on more stable than you think on embedded -
which starts processes, allocates memory, and then just runs forever.....

> 2. Are there any other functions that could be calling the existing
> add_*_randomness() functions? Currently:
>
> * add_input_randomness() is called from input_event().

Could be added in the serial core? usb? spi? i2c?