RE: [patch 03/20] x86, ptrace, bts: defer branch trace stopping

From: Metzger, Markus T
Date: Tue Apr 07 2009 - 05:12:21 EST

Yes. For x86 Architecture.

>Ok, if you must mark the pages accessed and dirty you should get whole
>pages, otherwise you cannot make that promise on the ptes, right?

The feedback I got so far was that kmalloc'ed memory is OK to use
in that case.

>> >Apparently its large enough to account in pages, that would suggest you
>> >should use the page allocator to get memory.
>>
>> Wouldn't kmalloc forward the request to the page allocator for large memory?
>
>It may, but doesn't need to.
>
>> >Furthermore, if it needs to be physically contiguous and its more than
>> >say 8 pages worth, you're basically up shit creek.
>>
>> If not enough memory is available, I would expect users to request smaller
>> buffers until the request can be satisfied.
>
>Sounds like a very bad interface, esp since you don't need physically
>contiguous memory.
>
>So what you need to do is allocate pages, order-0, grab a reference,
>then vmap them into a linear piece, poke at the ptes to set the young
>and dirty bits and provide that to your hardware.

OK.

Would a simple vmalloc() do the job?
Looks like it uses PAGE_KERNEL which has the present, accessed, and dirty bits
set. It also does the page allocation and vmap() for me.

thanks,
markus.

Intel GmbH
Dornacher Strasse 1
85622 Feldkirchen/Muenchen Germany
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Douglas Lusk, Peter Gleissner, Hannes Schwaderer
Registergericht: Muenchen HRB 47456 Ust.-IdNr.
VAT Registration No.: DE129385895
Citibank Frankfurt (BLZ 502 109 00) 600119052

¢éì®&Þ~º&¶¬–+-±éÝ¥Šw®žË±Êâmébžìdz¹Þ)í…æèw*jg¬±¨¶‰šŽŠÝj/êäz¹ÞŠà2ŠÞ¨è­Ú&¢)ß«a¶Úþø®G«éh®æj:+v‰¨Šwè†Ù>Wš±êÞiÛaxPjØm¶Ÿÿà -»+ƒùdš_