Re: Off topic: Numactl "distance" wrong

From: David Rientjes
Date: Tue Apr 07 2009 - 04:30:30 EST

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Andi Kleen wrote:

> No actually it was intended to prevent tables that confuse the scheduler/VM
> from being used. At least that is what I wrote it for. The only check
> that is really needed is that remote != local, the rest is fluff
> admittedly and could be all dropped.

I think users, current and future, of node_distance(a, b) would assume it
would be equal to node_distance(b, a). Admittedly, later revisions of the
SLIT specification allow this to not necessarily be true.

I agreed with you early on that we shouldn't add an interface to
dynamically change the localities in the SLIT, not only because of the
dependencies that the VM and scheduler have which you mentioned, but also
because there is no current interface for changing it and its much more
reasonable to simply fix the BIOS instead of tuning this (which is even
more argument for making slit_valid() as sane as possible).

I do think that it would be helpful to add a parameter to disable parsing
the SLIT, however, when it is known to be incorrect. I haven't heard your
objection to that yet.