Re: [RFI] Shared accounting for memory resource controller

From: KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki
Date: Tue Apr 07 2009 - 03:02:21 EST

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 12:07:22 +0530
Balbir Singh <balbir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi, All,
>
> This is a request for input for the design of shared page accounting for
> the memory resource controller, here is what I have so far

In my first impression, I think simple counting is impossible.
IOW, "usage count" and "shared or not" is very different problem.

Assume a page and its page_cgroup.

Case 1)
1. a page is mapped by process-X under group-A
2. its mapped by process-Y in group-B (now, shared and charged under group-A)
3. move process-X to group-B
4. now the page is not shared.

Case 2)
swap is an object which can be shared.

Case 3)
1. a page known as "A" is mapped by process-X under group-A.
2. its mapped by process-Y under group-B(now, shared and charged under group-A)
3. Do copy-on-write by process-X.
Now, "A" is mapped only by B but accoutned under group-A.
This case is ignored intentionally, now.
Do you want to call try_charge() both against group-A and group-B
under process-X's page fault ?

There will be many many corner case.

> Motivation for shared page accounting
> -------------------------------------
> 1. Memory cgroup administrators will benefit from the knowledge of how
> much of the data is shared, it helps size the groups correctly.
> 2. We currently report only the pages brought in by the cgroup, knowledge
> of shared data will give a complete picture of the actual usage.

Motivation sounds good. But counting this in generic rmap will have tons of
troubles and slow-down.

I bet we should prepare a file as
/proc/<pid>/cgroup_maps

And show RSS/RSS-owned-by-us per process. Maybe this feature will be able to be
implemented in 3 days.

Thanks,
-Kame