[GIT *] Remaining firmware patches.

From: David Woodhouse
Date: Tue Apr 07 2009 - 00:44:13 EST

Linus, please pull from git://git.infradead.org/~dwmw2/firmware-2.6.git

With some sterling work by Jaswinder, I think we've pushed most of the
driver patches upstream through their respective maintainers, to cleanly
separate driver code from loadable firmware.

What I have left is a few things which have mostly been sitting in
linux-next for a while now without much attention...

There was a suboptimal fix for a problem with running modules_install
from a read-only NFS tree. The bug had been introduced by an accidental
change which slipped in through the DVB tree, and the better fix would
have been to partially revert the offending commit. This tree does that,
and reverts the subsequent 'fix' which is now rendered unnecessary.

It has a couple of driver conversions to use request_firmware() -- one
for an ALSA driver which came from Takashi and never got pushed further
for some reason, and another for av7110 bootstrap code (and we actually
managed to find the source for that blob, too).

Also in the av7110 DVB driver, it removes some obsolete support for
building the runtime firmware into the kernel -- we have a generic way
of doing that now.

With GregKH's approval, it removes the slicoss and sxg firmware images
which slipped in via the staging tree. The intention was never that we
start adding lots of _new_ firmware to the kernel source; we have a
separate linux-firmware.git repository which is now the canonical
location to collect that.

I've added a README.AddingFirmware file to document the situation and
tell people how to submit new firmware to the linux-firmware.git repo.

David Woodhouse (5):
Revert "fix modules_install via NFS"
Partially revert "V4L/DVB (9533): cx88: Add support for TurboSight TBS8910
firmware/WHENCE: Add missing origin information for Ambassador atmsar11.fw
firmware: Remove newly-added slicoss and sxg firmware images
Add README.AddingFirmware file. Basically telling people not to.

Jaswinder Singh (2):
firmware: convert av7110 driver to request_firmware()
Remove fdump tool for av7110 firmware

Takashi Iwai (1):
ALSA: wavefront - Always use request_firmware()

drivers/media/dvb/ttpci/Kconfig | 23 +-
drivers/media/dvb/ttpci/Makefile | 9 -
drivers/media/dvb/ttpci/av7110.c | 16 -
drivers/media/dvb/ttpci/av7110_hw.c | 35 +-
drivers/media/dvb/ttpci/av7110_hw.h | 3 +-
drivers/media/dvb/ttpci/fdump.c | 44 -
firmware/.gitignore | 1 +
firmware/Makefile | 30 +-
firmware/README.AddingFirmware | 34 +
firmware/WHENCE | 93 +-
firmware/av7110/Boot.S | 109 +
firmware/av7110/bootcode.bin.ihex | 15 +
firmware/ihex2fw.c | 268 ++
firmware/slicoss/gbdownload.sys.ihex | 6148 ----------------------------
firmware/slicoss/gbrcvucode.sys.ihex | 162 -
firmware/slicoss/oasisdbgdownload.sys.ihex | 5124 -----------------------
firmware/slicoss/oasisdownload.sys.ihex | 5124 -----------------------
firmware/slicoss/oasisrcvucode.sys.ihex | 162 -
firmware/sxg/saharadbgdownloadB.sys.ihex | 3937 ------------------
firmware/sxg/saharadownloadB.sys.ihex | 3385 ---------------
firmware/yamaha/yss225_registers.bin.ihex | 998 +++++
scripts/.gitignore | 1 -
scripts/Makefile | 3 +-
scripts/ihex2fw.c | 268 --
sound/isa/Kconfig | 10 -
sound/isa/wavefront/wavefront_fx.c | 16 -
sound/isa/wavefront/yss225.c | 2739 -------------

David Woodhouse Open Source Technology Centre
David.Woodhouse@xxxxxxxxx Intel Corporation