Re: [GIT PULL] SLAB include file dependency fixes + kmemtraceupdates

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Apr 06 2009 - 23:56:15 EST

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> I'm not sure this is the tree that brings in the problem, but my wife's
> Mac Mini won't boot any more, and it looks like some slub or percpu issue,
> so regardless, roughly the right people are involved in the cc here
> already.
>
> I get odd NUL page faults or GP faults in either __kmalloc,
> __kmalloc_track_caller or kmem_cache_alloc

Hmm. Bisected to Andrew's big chunk of merges on April 1st. Right now I
have

- bad: 527410ff7fc5d45fe41523c0ba061113dea22017 ("cirrusfb: GD5446
fixes")

- good: 63cd885426872254e82dac2d9e13ea4f720c21dc ("ntfs: remove private
wrapper of endian helpers")

and all the commits in between are all from that same -mm series. Very
interesting.

Anyway, the SLUB errors and the per-cpu'ness of the thing seems to have
been a false lead and irrelevant.

Andrew, I'll continue to bisect. Looks like it might be the epoll changes
(that's the only really 'core' thing there). Although I don't understand
why those would make that Mac Mini unhappy, but not affect the other
machines. So maybe I should just stop guessing until the bisection ends..

Linus