Re: Replacing VFAT as filesystem on removeable media

From: Nicholas Miell
Date: Mon Apr 06 2009 - 15:52:24 EST

On Sun, 2009-04-05 at 13:05 -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Alejandro Riveira FernÃndez wrote:
> >>>
> >> Ironically enough, one of the better filesystems for being supported by
> >> many OSes is probably ext2. However, that doesn't mean it is even in
> >> the same rough ballpark as (V)FAT.
> >
> > What about UDF ?
>
> Good point. UDF is probably widely supported, but again, not in the
> same ballpark. I don't personally know how complex UDF is to implement
> on a small memory device.
>
> -hpa

DVD players are small memory devices and they don't actually implement
UDF.

(DVD movies have UDF filesystems, but they're constructed such that the
files that the DVD player needs are at specific fixed offsets on the
disc, and the DVD player never actually interprets the UDF filesystem.)

Also, there's several different revisions of UDF, which causes some
level of operating system compatibility problems.

Fortunately, the UDF flavor likely to be used on magnetic/flash media is
also the flavor that's the most compatible, so that makes things easier
for everyone.

--
Nicholas Miell <nmiell@xxxxxxxxxxx>