Re: USB disconnect, address 6

From: Jon Grant
Date: Mon Apr 06 2009 - 15:34:17 EST

Hi

2009/4/6 Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 11:11:55AM +0200, Jon Grant wrote:
[..]
>> The idea was that the disconnect could give more information.
>> Otherwise it's necessary to go hunting back up the log to track down
>> which USB device was the one disconnected (which works fine, but isn't
>> ideal for time consumed doing this regularly).
>
> As you yanked the device out, don't you know which one it was?

I do get devices disappear without me disconnecting them, various
different PCs, and laptops.

[..]
>> Apr Â5 18:56:58 data-laptop kernel: usb 5-1: USB disconnect, address 6
>> (Samsung ÂMighty Drive)
>>
>> Would this not be clearer?
>
> That might be nice, but note that the kernel doesn't even know the
> strings after a device is gone, as it had to read them from the device
> :)

Yeah, would need to cache the names, perhaps you don't want to bloat
the kernel that way.

> Also, lots of devices don't have strings describing them, and some of
> them are just flat out wrong. ÂAnd, if you have multiple devices of the
> same type, it wouldn't really help out any either.

Well personally I would rather at least know the class of the device
which went, and would put up with incorrect info in preference to no
info.

> So it would be a bit difficult to do this, sorry.

Thanks anyway for considering it.

Best regards, Jon