Re: [Scst-devel] [ANNOUNCE]: Comparison of features sets betweendifferent SCSI targets (SCST, STGT, IET, LIO)

From: Tomasz Chmielewski
Date: Mon Apr 06 2009 - 05:50:42 EST

Vladislav Bolkhovitin schrieb:
Tomasz Chmielewski, on 04/04/2009 11:12 PM wrote:
Vladislav Bolkhovitin schrieb:
Hi All,

I set up http://scst.sourceforge.net/comparison.html page, which compares features of existing SCSI target subsystems for Linux. The comparison includes SCST, STGT, IET and LIO.

I might be not fully correct somewhere, so, if you don't agree with me about some item(s) in the comparison table, please let me know and I will fix that.

Performance is a bit debatable.

The result "in average" was listed in the comparison. Of course, one target can be better somewhere, another one somewhere else. That a nature of storage: it's pretty hard to optimize for all at once.

True.

BTW, if I remember correctly your logs, you didn't apply all the SCST kernel patches on your kernel. Then your results aren't much applicable to this comparison, because it assumes all SCST kernel patches applied.

I made three tests:
- STGT (with standard Debian Lenny kernel)
- SCST with default build options (i.e. no "make debug2perf"), no kernel patches (standard Debian Lenny kernel)
- SCST + "make debug2perf", with kernel patches (Debian Lenny .config + SCST patches and proper option enabled)

I'll post the results shortly.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org