SCHED_RR and kernel thread

From: Bhavesh Parekh
Date: Mon Apr 06 2009 - 01:01:41 EST

Hi All,
We have a mulit-threaded application which run on linux kernel 2.6.23.
This application uses the real time thread, using the SCHED_RR policy.
We can't use the SCHED_NORMAL as the heuristic use to compute the
Dynamic priority is not suitted for our application.

As the application is CPU bound if we use the SCHED_RR in the
application then it will stale the system after some time. So we
decided to switch the Kernel thread to the SCHED_RR too.( higher
priority then application).

Now the important question here is that this kernel thread are not
design to work in SCHED_RR policy. What I mean is that a particular
kernel thread(eg:ksoftirqd) might take more time to finish it work if
the policy of the thread is change.

Further it is also possible that a particular thread wake-up(eg:
pdflush) and take around 20-50 ms to execution time. So I need to know
is there any test-case to test the time taken by a particular thread
to finish it work.

-Thanks
Bhavesh