Re: [GIT PULL] Ext3 latency fixes

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sun Apr 05 2009 - 16:58:24 EST

Mark Lord wrote:
Linus Torvalds wrote:

Non-rotational media would tend to want the unplugging, but the block layer already does that (ie in __make_request() we already do:

if (unplug || blk_queue_nonrot(q))
__generic_unplug_device(q);

so non-rotational devices get unplugged whether the request was a unplugging request or not).
..

Mmm.. except that Jeff's SSD doesn't appear to identify itself
as a non-rotating media. I suppose there's a way to "quirk" that
somewhere, though.

We set it in libata-scsi.c:ata_scsi_dev_config() based on ata_id_is_ssd()

That hueristic probably assumes Intel SSDs or something :/

Jeff