Re: Resend: /proc/<pid>/maps offset output broken in 2.6.29

From: Hugh Dickins
Date: Sun Apr 05 2009 - 14:52:28 EST

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, Chris Friesen wrote:
> Hugh Dickins wrote:
>
> > This is a cosmetic matter, not worth more than a couple of lines of
> > code: I suggested masking off the high bits in the display, but when
> > KAMEZAWA-san suggested just showing 0, it was hard to argue against
> > his brutal simplicity.
>
> <snip>
>
> > Consider this change a fix: it used to show 00000000 before 2.6.7.
> >
> > See http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/1/13/331 for one of the threads
> > on the subject - but you've not tempted me to reopen it!
>
> Okay, fair enough. I'll change my code to deal with it. Thanks for the
> explanation.

Oh, I thought you were arguing hypotheticals. This is more serious,
that you have some userspace code which depended on the 2.6.8-2.6.29
way of filling that field, and now we're about to break it.

Please, would you share what you were doing with the vm_pgoff of an
anonymous area? I won't pretend: I am indeed hoping to show that
what you were doing before was already broken, so that we can safely
go ahead and break it some more!

Hugh