Re: Linux 2.6.29

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Apr 03 2009 - 16:18:14 EST

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Yeah, it's a no-name SSD.
>
> I've attached 'hdparm -I' in case anyone is curious. It's from newegg.com, so
> nothing NDA'd or sekrit.

Hmm. Does it do ok on the "random write" test? There's a few non-intel
controllers that are fine - apparently the newer samsung ones, and the one
from Indilinx.

But I _think_ G.SKILL uses those horribly broken JMicron controllers.
Judging by your performance numbers, it's the slightly fancier double
controller version (ie basically an internal RAID0 of two identical
JMicron controllers, each handling half of the flash chips).

Try a random write test. If it's the JMicron controllers, performance will
plummet to a few tens of kilobytes per second.

Linus