Re: perf_counter: request for three more sample data options

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Apr 03 2009 - 12:33:18 EST

* Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Yes, quite :-) I'll have to see what we can do there -- we could do a
> > > best effort thing with little to no guarantees I think.
> > >

> > Best effort would be fine, I think. I would assume that means
> > that 99.9% of the time, you'll get a correct timestamp, and the
> > rest are rubbish? Or would there be a way to detect when you're
> > not able to give a correct timestamp and in that case replace
> > the timestamp field with a special sentinel, like all hex f's?
>
> What I was thinking of was re-using some of the cpu_clock()
> infrastructure. That provides us with a jiffy based GTOD sample,
> cpu_clock() then uses TSC and a few filters to compute a current
> timestamp.
>
> I was thinking about cutting back those filters and thus trusting
> the TSC more -- which on x86 can do any random odd thing. So
> provided the TSC is not doing funny the results will be ok-ish.
>
> This does mean however, that its not possible to know when its
> gone bad.

Note that on latest mainline and on Nehalem CPUs that filter is
being cut back already. So there's an opt-in mechanism to trust
sched_clock() some more.

> Also, cpu_clock() can only provide monotonicity per-cpu, if a
> value read on one cpu is compared to a value read on another cpu,
> there can be a drift of at most 1-2 jiffies.

That should be a good start i think. If it causes any measurable
jitter then the performance monitoring community is probably going
to be the first one to notice! ;-) So there's good synergy IMO.

Ingo