Re: Linux 2.6.29

From: Mark Lord
Date: Fri Apr 03 2009 - 11:42:20 EST

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 10:46:34AM -0400, Mark Lord wrote:
My Myth box here was running 2.6.18 when originally set up,
and even back then it still took *minutes* to delete large files.
So that part hasn't really changed much in the interim.

Because of the multi-minute deletes, the distro shutdown scripts
would fails, and power off the box while it was still writing
to the drives. Ouch.

That system has had XFS on it for the past year and a half now,
and for Myth, there's no reason not to use XFS. It's great!

Mythtv has a 'slow delete' option that I believe works by slowly
truncating the file. Seems they believe that ext3 is bad at handling
large file deletes, so they try to spread out the pain. I don't remember
if that option is on by default or not. I turned it off.
..

That option doesn't make much difference for the shutdown failure.
And with XFS there's no need for it, so I now have it "off".

Cheers