Re: qcserial comes up in unhelpful custom mode?

From: Greg KH
Date: Thu Apr 02 2009 - 22:59:25 EST

On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 09:37:26PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> The qcserial driver appears to bind with the device providing a "QDL"
> interface, whatever that is. The internet suggests that the device needs
> firmware loading before it'll do anything useful. Is there any code out
> there to do this on Linux, or is the driver currently fairly useless?

I have a package from Qualcom, that dumps the firmware down into the
device. It includes a udev rule and firmware images to get the modem
working.

Unfortunatly, the license on the code seems to be restricting its
redistribution at the moment, although I have been told this will change
in the future when some machines ship with Linux installed on them with
this hardware included.

But, I have heard reports of people dual-booting with other operating
systems and then successfully using the device under Linux with the
qcserial driver, so that is one solution for some users.

Sorry I don't have better news,

greg k-h