Re: EXT4-ish "fixes" in UBIFS

From: Trenton D. Adams
Date: Thu Apr 02 2009 - 22:29:16 EST

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 8:19 PM, David Rees <drees76@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 7:05 PM, Trenton D. Adams
> <trenton.d.adams@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 7:55 PM, David Rees <drees76@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 5:28 PM, Trenton D. Adams
>>> <trenton.d.adams@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> dirty_ratio and dirty_background never really had any affect for me.
>> I'll look into the other parameters.  Waiting for the checkout again,
>> as I am currently under a heavy rsync load (*rolls eyes*).
>
> How low have you set them?  Try setting them to 2 and 1 respectively.
> It cuts down fsync latencies by a significant amount in my experience.
>
> -Dave

That's the odd thing, I was setting them to 2 and 1. I was just
looking at the 2.6.29 code, and it should have made a difference. I
don't know what version of the kernel I was using at the time. And,
I'm not sure if I had the 1M fsync tests in place at the time either,
to be sure about what I was testing. It could be that I wasn't being
very scientific about it at the time. Thanks though, that setting
makes a huge difference.