Re: Linux 2.6.29

From: Theodore Tso
Date: Thu Apr 02 2009 - 19:27:32 EST

On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 05:54:42PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 08:17:35AM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
> > Well, ext4 will be an interim solution you can convert to first. It
> > will be best with a backup/reformat/restore pass, better if you enable
> > extents (at least for new files, but then you won't be able to go back
> > to ext3), but you'll get improvements even if you just mount an ext3
> > filesystem as ext4.
>
> Well I did pickup a 1TB external USB/eSATA drive for pretty much such
> a task. I wasn't sure if ext4 was ready or stable enough to play
> with yet though.

To play with, definitely. For production use, I'll have to let you
make your own judgements. I've been using it on my laptop since July.

At the moment, there's only one bug which I'm very concerned about,
being worked here:

But a number of community distro's will be supporting it within the
next month or two. So it's definitely getting there. As we increase
the user base, we'll turn up more of the harder-to-reproduce bugs, but
hopefully we'll get them fixed quickly.

- Ted