Re: ftruncate-mmap: pages are lost after writing to mmaped file.

From: Ying Han
Date: Thu Apr 02 2009 - 18:52:36 EST

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 10:44 AM, Ying Han <yinghan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 8:51 AM, Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Nick, what load did you use for reproduction? I'll try to reproduce it
>>> here so that I can debug ext2...
>>
>> OK, I set up the filesystem like this:
>>
>> modprobe rd rd_size=$[3*1024*1024] #almost fill memory so we reclaim buffers
>> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ram0 bs=4k #prefill brd so we don't get alloc deadlock
>> mkfs.ext2 -b1024 /dev/ram0 #1K buffers
>>
>> Test is basically unmodified except I use 64MB files, and start 8 of them
>> at once to (8 core system, so improve chances of hitting the bug). Although I
>> do see it with only 1 running it takes longer to trigger.
>>
>> I also run a loop doing 'sync ; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches' but I don't
>> know if that really helps speed up reproducing it. It is quite random to hit,
>> but I was able to hit it IIRC in under a minute with that setup.
>>

> Here is how i reproduce it:
> Filesystem is ext2 with blocksize 4096
> Fill up the ram with 95% anon memory and mlockall ( put enough memory
> pressure which will trigger page reclaim and background writeout)
> Run one thread of the test program
>
> and i will see "bad pages" within few minutes.

And here is the "top" and stdout while it is getting "bad pages"
top

3487 root 20 0 52616 50m 284 R 95 0.3 3:58.85 usemem
3810 root 20 0 129m 99m 99m D 41 0.6 0:01.87 ftruncate_mmap
261 root 15 -5 0 0 0 D 4 0.0 0:31.08 kswapd0
262 root 15 -5 0 0 0 D 3 0.0 0:10.26 kswapd1

stdout:

while true; do
./ftruncate_mmap;
done