Re: Replacing VFAT as filesystem on removeable media

From: Bryan Henderson
Date: Thu Apr 02 2009 - 13:51:37 EST

> Now as TomTom appears to have surrendered to Microsoft and Microsoft
seems
> to have accepted this deal probably in order to not find out that their
> patents are void, I think replacing VFAT as standard cross platform
> filesystem on removeable media would be an even better idea than before
> [1].

> [1]

http://www.h-online.com/open/TomTom-Microsoft-settle-patent-dispute--/news/112964

How do you mean "replace"?

VFAT's standardness today comes from the fact that virtually every
personal computer in the world today and for the foreseeable future is
able to read and write VFAT. Do you envision some other filesystem format
achieving that status?

--
Bryan Henderson IBM Almaden Research Center
San Jose CA Storage Systems