Re: [Announce] 2.6.29-rt2

From: Will Schmidt
Date: Thu Apr 02 2009 - 12:02:44 EST

On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 02:17 +0200, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> We are pleased to announce the next update to our new preempt-rt
> series.
>
> - fix a fork/exit bug in the signal per task cache (/me puts on
> a huge brown paper bag - Thanks to Phillipe Reynes and Will
> Schmidt for reporting and testing)
>
> - fix a group scheduling migration accounting bug (decoded with
> and fixed by Peter Zijlstra - reported by Robin Gareus)
>
> - tlb gather rework by Peter Zijlstra - Thanks Peter !
>
> - the usual fixlets
>
> The tlb rework might be incomplete on some of the uncountable
> incarnations of PowerPC and ARM platforms, so look out for wreckage
> and keep the usual tools (fire-extinguishers, brooms, buckets etc.)
> handy.

I can confirm that the tlb rework does appear to be missing some parts
for Power. (Using 2.6.29-rt3 on pseries ppc64)

arch/powerpc/kernel/built-in.o:(.toc1+0x4d0): undefined reference to
`per_cpu__ppc64_tlb_batch'
<...>
mm/built-in.o:(.toc1+0xed0): more undefined references to
`per_cpu__ppc64_tlb_batch' follow

Not clear to me if this is just missing a "DEFINE_PER_CPU_LOCKED" to
replace the removed "DEFINE_PER_CPU", (similar to the prior RT patches),
or if the tlb rework is more involved. So, I will patiently remain
tuned in. :-)

Thanks,
-Will