Re: Help: tasklet blocked for >8msec - USB mouse related

From: Tilman Schmidt
Date: Thu Apr 02 2009 - 11:33:09 EST

[CCing linux-usb as I had started another thread there already]

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 11:43:59 +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 18:52 +0200, Tilman Schmidt wrote:

>>> A user of the Gigaset base driver (drivers/isdn/gigaset/bas-gigaset.c)
>>> reports his connection being dropped exactly every 30 seconds.
>>> Analysis of his dmesg indicates that when the error occurs, both the
>>> tasklets read_iso_tasklet and write_iso_tasklet handling the B channel
>>> data stream (125 USB isochronous packets per second in each direction)
>>> are at the same time not executed for an entire inter-packet interval,
>>> ie. 8 msecs.
>> The user did a bit of ellimination work, and it turned out that if
>> he disconnected his Logitech Laser Mouse from its USB port and
>> connected it to the PS2 port instead, the regular blockages ceased.
>
> Looks like the USB driver holds off interrupts for a long-long time.

Well, not quite. The sequence of events is this:
- two isochronous read URBs are queued
- completion handler is called for the first one
- schedules tasklet for bottom half processing of received data
- submits another URB so that there are again two URBs queued
- 8 ms later, completion handler is called again for the next URB
- notices previous URB hasn't been processed (ie. tasklet hasn't run)
- bitches
And the same, mutatis mutandis, for the sending direction.

So interrupts seem to be delivered fine, it's just the tasklets that are
held off.

> Another possible source might be SMIs -- and there's nothing much you
> can do about those except bitch to Gigabyte.
>
> But really, relying on <10ms execution latency on mainline is almost
> asking for it -- in general we do better, but there are a few sore
> spots.

Interestingly, I never encountered that sort of problem while developing
the driver, on a lowly 700 MHz P3 with kernels around 2.6.11, and the only
problem report I ever received in that area until now was from a user who
ran an IDE disk in PIO mode, and whose problems vanished once he switched
that to DMA mode.

So what do you propose? Queue more URBs, so that I can tolerate waiting
longer for bottom half processing to kick in? How much time will I have
to be able to tolerate?

Thanks,
Tilman

--